Yogyakarta, D.I. Yogyakarta
Presidential Palace of Yogyakarta is located at the southern tip of Akhmad Yani Street, Kelurahan Ngupasan, Gondomanan District, Municipality of Yogyakarta. The Palace Complex located at an altitude of 120 meters above sea level has been built on an area of 43,585 M2. Located in downtown, the heart of Yogyakarta city, facing east across Vredeburg Fortress Museum, the ex Dutch fort.
The presidential palace of Yogyakarta is, also known as the Great Building or State Building. The naming is related to one of the main building functions of the palace, namely as a reception place of great guests. This palace is one of the palaces of the other four presidential palaces, which has a very important role in the history of the struggle for independence and the life of the nation of Indonesia.
In general, the process of developing the parts of the Presidential Palace of Yogyakarta has not changed much, either from its main building: Great Building, also its homes such as State Home, Indraphrasta Home, Sawojajar Home, Bumiretawu Home, and Saptapratala Home.
In addition to the four homes, since September 20, 1995, Sono Art complex covering an area of 5600 square meters located in the south, which was originally owned by the Ministry of Information, is now part of the Presidential Palace of Yogyakarta. Pretty good rearrangement is carried out towards this palace; eg renovated Art Space, chairs and decorative lights are replaced. In terms of furniture / equipment it seems fit between the functions of the room / lounge and those of furniture or equipment filling it, even including art objects of high value in it.
Since its founding two centuries ago until now, Main Building of complex of the Presidential Palace of Yogyakarta has never changed; the same shape as when completed in 1869. Its main room is called Garuda Room and serves as the official room to welcome state guests or other great guests. In this room the Cabinet of the Republic of Indonesia was inaugurated when the nation's capital was moved to Yogyakarta.At this historic room wall pictures of national heroes are hanging, among them are pictures of Prince Diponegoro, R.A. Kartini, Doctor Wahidin Soedirohusodo, and Tengku Cik Di Tiro.
On the south side of the Main Building there are Bedrooms of the President and family, while on the north side there are bedrooms reserved for the Vice President and family, and for state guests or other great guests and their families.
On the front right side of the Main Building there is room named Soedirman Room to commemorate of the struggle of the Great Commander Soedirman in leading the guerrilla against the Dutch. In this room that used to Commander Soedirman excused himself to President Sukarno, to leave the city in order to lead the guerrilla war against the Dutch. On the left side of the main building there is a room named Diponegoro Room to commemorate the struggle of Prince Diponegoro against the Dutch. In this room the painting / photograph of his mounting a horse is also shown.
From the Garuda Room to the backwards there is another big room, namely Banquet Room, a banquet for the state guests or other great guests. On the back of the banquet room there is a spacious room, which serves as Art Performing Room.
Still on buildings existing in this Yoyakarta Palace, another building is State Home; this home was built in 1980. This home is intended for the ministers and entourages of the state guests. This building has two floors and 19 rooms. Each room is decorated with paintings and other art objects in accordance with the functions of the rooms, mainly to rest.
In addition to State Home, there is Indraphrasta Home. This home is a form of the original building of Dutch Resident Assistant office, the initiator of the building which is now a palace. On the left and right rears of the main building, near the Art Room, Sawojajar Home and Bumiretawu Home exist. Sawojajar Home, in the north, is provided for officers or staff entourages of the President or the state guests, while Bumiretawu Home is provided for aide and personal physician of the President or aide and personal physician of the state guests. Saptapratala Home is located in the south, opposite the Bumiretawu Home. This home is provided for the officers and members of the entourages of the president or the state guests.
Sono Art Complex was restored in 1995 and consists of auditorium building, building for keeping collection of art objects, exhibition building and offices. The auditorium was originally Sono Arts building built in 1915 and intended as a place of selected art performances related to the state events. The Building designated as storage for collection of art objects was originally an ancient building built by the Dutch in 1911 and last used as office of PWI / Antara. The Building designated as an exhibition building and offices was originally was the Office of the Ministry of Information.
Usually, Main Gate of the Yogyakarta Palace Complex is "guarded" by two large sculptures Dwarapala also called Gupala, each is two meters. Both of the sculptures came from one of places in the south of Kalasan Temple. In the courtyard of the palace, in front of Main Building, there is a monument made of andesite stone of 3.5 meters tall, and its name is Dagoba, originated from Cupuwatu Village, near Prambanan Temple. Yogyakarta People call it Tugu Lilin because it looks like candle wax always lighting, symbolizing the harmony of religion, ie Ciwa Hinduism and Buddhism: Ciwa Hinduism is symbolized by a Phallus, who sustains the stupa as a symbol of Buddhism.
(Presidential Palace of RI, Presidential Secretariat of RI, 2004)